Pulled Pork Sandwich
Home-Made dinner 2200 Calories/Day Plan Print Flexcipe
Just because you are losing weight doesn't mean your relationships should suffer. This classic meal is a favorite among many, and is one that can be shared with the whole family or a friend.
My Weight Loss Meal:
- 1 Pulled Pork Sandwich
- 2 cups Green Beans
- 2 pudding cups
To make portion :
- 4 ounces pork shoulder, boneless
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/8 cups broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 2 Tablespoons bottled BBQ sauce
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 sandwich buns
- Pickle slices
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed and halved (fresh or frozen, not canned)
- 2 Tablespoon bottled light salad dressing (such as Italian or vinaigrette)
- 2 pudding cups (4 ounce, such as Jell-O or Snack Pack)
For the Pulled Pork Sandwich:
- Heat the oven to 325°F.
- Trim all visible fat off of the pork using a sharp knife. Sprinkle all over with pepper, and chili powder. (Also sprinkle with salt if you are using low-sodium broth.)
- Stir the broth and 1/2 of the BBQ sauce together in a Dutch oven or a deep oven-proof dish. Place the pork and smashed garlic in the pan, cover tightly with lid or heavy-duty foil, and place in the oven.
- Braise the pork for 2 hours for every pound of meat before checking for doneness. It should be very tender and flake easily with a fork. Keep checking at 30-minute intervals until tender.
- When done, lift the pork out of the broth using tongs or two forks and place it in a large bowl. Using a fork and your hands, shred evenly, discarding fat and gristle as you go. Toss with the other half of the BBQ sauce. If you prefer more moisture, drizzle with the cooking juices.
- When ready to eat, fill the bun with the pork and pickles.
For the Green Beans:
- If using fresh green beans, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the green beans briefly in the boiling water (about 3 minutes), until just tender. Strain in a colander.
- To cook fresh green beans in the microwave, place them in a microwave-safe dish with about 1 tablespoon of water per cup of green beans. Cover and cook on high 1-2 minutes.
- If using frozen green beans, cook according to package instructions.
- When green beans are cooked, toss hot with salad dressing and serve immediately.